Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Fonts

What do I love talking about most? Mundane shit! That's right, fuck current affairs and my point of view on humanity - we're talking italics and bold. I understand what bold does. It expresses heavy emphasis on a phrase, word or even a particilar letter in a word; this makes sense. Italics? I have no idea. Is it to illustrate that the italiced word is to be read with an altered inflection? All words are pronounced with different inflections, depending on who you are and how much lung cancer you have. Perhaps it's relative to the reader.

What I like about italics, however, is that if an entire paragraph is italiced up, anything within it that requires a different inflection is put into non-italics. It's a great irony that makes me realise just how empty my life must be for me to notice such things. For instance:

When will my dry cleaning be ready? Thought John. I have been waiting for ages for those mustard stains to be removed!

Above, "ages" was the un-italiced word. See? Of course you do, thanks to my freakishly over-developed explaining skills. The one application of both bold and italics that I despise, however, are sentences or words that are in both italics and bold. Exaple:

"No!" John screamed at his dry cleaner; the small Asian man cowering behind his table full of various cleaning fluids. "I wanted the mustard stains removed, but I wanted you to leave the semen stains as they were!"

Now doesn't the word "leave" just look a tad flashy? I think so. And that's why I am lobbying to get Proposition 254 passed, barring italics and bold from coming within three words of eachother.

No comments:

Post a Comment